Monday, October 10, 2011

P is for Peacock

It's also for Paige, the adorable little daughter of my best friend.  I've been busy the last 2 weeks making a gift for her Christening in Colorado this past weekend.  And of course I couldn't ruin the surprise by posting it.

I knew I wanted to give her very personal gift, and though I don't really think of myself as an illustrator, a cute and whimsical illustration was definitely the way to go.  After looking at most of the peacock creations that google images has to offer and drawing a dozen different versions, I finally liked this guy:



After recreating him with pastels didn't work (there was too much detail for how soft and big they are) I turned to watercolor and got this one.  


The art deco inspired "P" was created from scratch in Adobe Illustrator, but something just didn't feel right about the colors.  A lot of this had to do with the blue being so dark and my trying to get away with using drawing paper, which just could not hold up to the minimal amount of water I was using.  A quick look at Kobayashi's Book of Colors and I ended up sticking a little closer to peacock colors, but of course with some pink thrown in there.  


It's framed in Ikea's white RIBBA shadow box frame, because the shadow box gives it some depth and presence and nobody seems to sell square frames except Ikea.  Here is is in Paige's pink room.


I was so happy when her parents liked it (she just blew some spit bubbles), and they've asked me to do her other two initials, S and O, for Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment