Monday, August 22, 2011

DIY desk

It's hard to believe that with the exception of my college years, I have never had a desk.  After years of making a mess on my couch, kitchen table, floor, and bed, I finally convinced myself to get one.  What I did not want was a "computer desk," complete with a pullout keyboard table and holes for the cables to go through.  I also didn't want anything too bulky or large, more of a writing desk or small table, and I did not want to spend a lot of money on it (I mean like under $40).  After endlessly checking Craig's list and never finding what I wanted, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I headed to Ikea to see what I could use to create exactly what I wanted on the cheap.  In the section with all the table tops and legs, I was able to pick up two Vika Lerberg Trestles for $10 each.  Next, I headed to the "as is" section and found a leftover metal shelf that (for the most part) fits on top of the trestle legs.

One set of legs + the top

Putting the legs together was a pretty similar to any Ikea job; you wedge some pieces together and turn that tiny screwdriver a million times.  Once the legs were assembled I just popped the top on and voila! a table/desk.

Don't be fooled, it's usually not this clean
Maybe you recognize that hanging bag from last month's post on Customizing a boring canvas tote.  Since the desk has no drawers, the tote bag gives me a little spot for storing the items I need at an arm's reach.  It's held up by one of those purse hooks that my roommate was sweet enough to bring me back from her trip to Madrid.

Right now it holds all my inks.
It's perfect for doing small projects and working on the computer.  The chair I'm using now is from my kitchen, but I'm confident that I'll be able to find a free chair at the end of the month when everyone is moving.  Total cost for a new workspace: $26.  

1 comment:

  1. Kel: That was a terrific idea for a desk. So that's what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete